Another year over,
a new one just begun…
…as John Lennon sang. And as such, many of us reflect on the year – or years – gone by and look ahead to what is before in 2017
So, 2016; Ten questions…
- What was the best thing that happened this past year?
- What was the most challenging thing that happened?
- What was an unexpected joy this past year?
- What was an unexpected obstacle?
- In what ways did you grow emotionally?
- In what ways did you grow spiritually?
- In what ways did you grow in your relationships with others?
- What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
- What was the best way you used your time this past year?
And finally –
- Where, for you, was God is all this?
The answer for Christians would be that God was in it all… in all the joys and in all the sorrows, in all the routines and in all the surprises.
When Jesus came as a baby, which we have just celebrated, we can understand that God knows what it is like to be human with all its challenges and opportunities. By trusting in His love and His compassion for each of us we can enjoy and cope with all that life throws at us, knowing that He cares, even when the moments maybe tragic and heartbreaking.
When this New Year ends how will we like to answer those questions about 2017?
As we stand at the beginning of this New Year, Lord, we confess our need of your presence and your guidance as we face the future. We each have our hopes and expectations for the year that is ahead of us—but you alone know what it holds for us, and only you can give us the strength and the wisdom we will need to meet its challenges. So help us to humbly put our hands into your hand, and to trust you and to seek your will for our lives during this coming year.
Rev Michelle Ireland